We’re hiring a Research Scientist—Plant Breeding and Genomics!
Join our global team
We’re looking for a Research Scientist-Plant Breeding and Genomics to provide scientific expertise and technical leadership for coffee breeding, genomics, and other data analysis for WCR's R&D portfolio in coffee breeding, trials and nursery. Driven by a desire to achieve real-world impact, the individual will use in-depth scientific expertise and creative approaches to achieve practical outcomes for the global coffee industry. Developing and maintaining collaborative relationships will be fundamental to the role as well as a team approach and the flexibility to take on both lead and support roles, depending on the project.
More about the position
Drive, determination, and a self-disciplined approach are needed to achieve results that meet established standards for quality and accuracy. The work requires specialized technical problem solving and ingenuity while working within approved organizational systems and technology, and the demonstration of the values of integrity, quality, and caution. New ideas and concepts are also important but will be carefully analyzed and tested before communication and adoption. The position encompasses a defined span of control and opportunity for someone who engenders trust, demonstrates a sense of urgency, and assures consistent achievement of quality standards. The Research Scientist, Plant Breeding and Genomics reports to the Director of Research & Development.
World Coffee Research (WCR) is a 501(c)5 non-profit agricultural research organization formed by the global coffee industry to drive collaborative innovation to ensure the future of coffee. WCR invests in coffee agricultural research to improve coffee productivity, coffee quality, climate resilience, and farmer livelihoods to support origin diversity (the continued availability of high-quality coffee from many producing countries). Our 28-member team lives in 15 countries. WCR’s annual operating budget of $5 million is made possible by coffee industry membership contributions complemented by public sector support.
Why work at World Coffee Research?
We are ensuring the future of coffee. Simply put, if you love coffee, and you want to be a part of a global team working to grow, protect, and enhance supplies of quality coffee while improving the livelihoods of the families who produce it – you’ve come to the right place! We’re looking for a collaborative, nimble and curious team player who likes to solve problems that matter, embraces accountability, and is ready to adopt a spirit of kaizen. If this sounds like you, please keep reading to learn more about the position.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in plant breeding/genetics or MSc plus equivalent professional experience
- Course work/training in agronomy, quantitative genetics, genomics, plant physiology and/or project management is highly desirable
- Experience in commercial cultivar development, private sector breeding and/or international agriculture is highly desirable
- Minimum 6 years of experience in modern plant breeding
- Developing breeding strategies including use of intra- and interspecific variation
- Trait mapping, trait introgression and genomic selection
- Modern phenotyping techniques
- Designing and establishing field and greenhouse trials
- Conducting statistical analysis and familiarity with statistical software such as R or SAS
- Peer-reviewed publications and/or patents or plant breeders rights
- Experience in perennial crops, woody plants or vegetatively propagated species is highly desirable
- Bilingual English / Spanish would be an asset
- Ability to work independently with self-motivation.
- Ability to work effectively across different cultures and customs.
- Ability to communicate and work with a fast-paced, innovative leadership team
- Collaborative and flexible with the ability to work in a team environment
- This position reports directly to the Director of Research and also needs to work effectively in a matrix structure with WCR regional leaders and the broader WCR team.
Compensation and Benefits
WCR believes in pay transparency and equity; accordingly, we benchmark all salaries to local scales in the countries where our team members live.
A full suite of benefits to facilitate work-life balance including: 25 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, bereavement leave, parental leave, and professional development opportunities to facilitate personal and professional growth.
How to Apply
Please email a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Research Scientist-Plant Breeding in the subject line.