Hiring Breeding and Technical Manager
improvement strategy of WCR is based on two main pillars:
- Increasing the rate of Genetic Gains
the rate of Variety Turnover
of these two pillars will occur through the implementation of a modern coffee breeding
program driven by the following components.
- Implementing a “Demand or Client Lead Breeding” philosophy
- Designing a breeding program strategy to achieve future needs of the client
- Integrating a low-cost and efficient genotyping strategy as part of the breeding program strategy
- Establishing targeted phenotyping methods supporting the breeding program objectives
- Using data-driven decision-making to deliver what the client needs
Breeding Program Supervision (50%)
- Shape the WCR breeding/research strategy to improve rates of genetic gain and variety turnover in alignment with market demands.
- Drive results set by the breeding/research strategy to establish a modern coffee breeding program.
- Deliver germplasm, traits and breeding technology on time and on budget according to the project plan guided by the breeding strategy.
- Execute or oversee the data analysis and interpretation of the analyses to facilitate the data driven decisions.
Project management & Partnership Building (50%)
- Achieve WCR Breeding Strategies by leveraging the technical expertise and relationship/trust of collaborative research partners and collaborative research.
- Conduct technical reviews in alignment with a philosophy of continuous improvement and project expectations
- Assure high quality research is on track and meeting the milestones set up in the project plans.
- Establish WCR as the “Partner of Choice” for collaborations.
- Coordinate and develop annual work plans and budgets.
- PhD or MS in Plant Breeding or Plant Genetics
work in Quantitative genetics and molecular markers
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience modern plant breeding.
- Coffee, tree or clonal crop breeding is highly preferred
- Coffee experience or coffee science is a premium
- International Agriculture (Coffee Growing Regions is a premium)
- Knowledge in the use of statistical software such as R or SAS
- English required.
- Computer skills, especially in PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Dropbox and video communications (e.g., Skype, Google Hangouts)
- Organizational Skills (Details with an ability to plan and prioritize)
- Customer orientation/product driven
- Critical, strategic, analytical thinker and problem solver.
- Resource management
- Business acumen
- A significant appreciation of improving coffee quality and production capabilities
- To work with a fast-paced, innovative leadership team
- Ability to work independently with self-motivation
- Ability to work effectively across different cultures and customs
- Ability to work and communicate effectively across a diversity of roles
There will be regular travel within the coffee producing countries to visit partners and trial sites. This position will be the face of WCR with many of our partners across the Americas, Africa and Asia (future).
love of coffee as a beverage and as a culture.
This position reports directly to the Director of Research.
The incumbent needs to works closely and effectively with WCR Regional Leadership, Regional Breeding Hub Advisors and the broader WCR team.
The position maybe structured to have direct reports within the WCR breeding community.
This position will remain open until filled. Please email Maud Nicolas with (1) a cover letter and (2) a CV in English if you think you fit the criteria.