We are hiring!
WCR will hire a Regional Coordinator/Agronomist in Indonesia to implement and coordinate World Coffee Research’s activities in Indonesia, Vietnam and the region, with an emphasis on implementing the Global Coffee Monitoring Program. He or she will report to the WCR Global Coffee Monitoring Program Director and will establish partnerships to install and maintain field trials in coffee farms to advance knowledge of coffee variety performance and farming practices to improve farm profitability. He or she will work closely with WCR staff to implement and coordinate WCR’s coffee seed sector and nursery development activities, variety trials, and other research and development activities in the region.
The Regional Coordinator/Agronomist position is a service deliverables-based position. The Agronomist will operate remotely and independently, and a work space will be established at one of WCR’s partner offices.
Role and responsibilities:
- Responsible for the coordination and implementation of WCR’s activities in the Southeast Asia and Asia Region.
- Learn WCR’s programs and protocols for coffee nursery development, on-farm trials and multi-location trials in order to support and implement these activities.
- Become proficient in and implement activities according to WCR’s standardized procedures.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with industry organizations, coffee farmers, partner agronomists, and government agencies.
- Coordinate and oversee all activities and data collection for trials, ensuring that activities are on time and carried out according to WCR’s protocols.
- Responsible for calculating the plants needed for trials, overseeing growth in nurseries, delivery and planting at the appropriate time.
- Work with the WCR staff and strategic partners to determine the coffee varieties and agricultural practices in trials.
- Organize and lead trainings and workshops on farm trial installation, maintenance and data collection.
- Organize and lead farmer field days to increase learning from the trials.
- Assist in and coordinate all WCR activities in Indonesia and the region, including nursery development activities and variety trials.
- Collaborate closely with WCR colleagues in other countries.
- Facilitate visits by specialists to conduct project-related assessments or trainings.
- Develop and use annual work plans of activities, budgets, and visit trial sites on a regular basis.
- Review field data to ensure it is accurate and reliable. Correct data problems and enter field data into spreadsheets.
- Track progress of activities and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the coffee agronomy sector.
- University degree in agriculture, related field, or equivalent.
- Experience in agricultural research or other research.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining professional partnerships.
- Ability to work in English and Bahasa is necessary, some local language is highly appreciated. The ability to write reports in English is required.
- Must be self-motivated, able to take initiative, organized, and able to operate well individually and on a team.
- Must be able to work and communicate effectively with different groups of people, such as rural farmers, business representatives, government workers and scientists.
- Must have a valid passport to travel in the region.
- Excellent computer skills, especially in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Skype.
- Interest in the vision and work of WCR.
Other considerations and instructions:
The place of work will most likely be near coffee-producing areas in Indonesia and will be determined together with WCR. There will be regular travel within Indonesia to visit partners and trial sites. There will also be occasional travel to Vietnam and other countries in the region.
The start date is the beginning of December 2019. The duration of the contract is one year. Renewal of the contract will be dependent on satisfactory progress of activities and completion of the deliverables.
To apply, send the following to Maud Nicolas at email@example.com by October 30, 2019.
(1) a letter of interest (in English)
(2) CV or resume (in English)