We’re hiring an Accounting Manager!
Join our Finance Team
We’re looking for an Accounting Manger to join our high performing finance team. This position centers around producing timely results that are high quality and accurate in accordance with US GAAP for a non-profit organization. This position reports to the Finance Director, works closely with the finance team and interacts with the Leadership and Program teams. This position demands deep finance knowledge and expertise. Getting the job done and getting it done right are the two equal drivers for this role. Agricultural research is a long-term play and we're looking for a candidate who's looking to put down roots for the long term too. Strong candidates who may be lighter on the experience side will have plenty of opportunity and support to grow in this role.
About World Coffee Research
World Coffee Research (WCR) is a 501(c)5 non-profit agricultural research organization formed by the global coffee industry to drive collaborative innovation to ensure the future of coffee. WCR invests in coffee agricultural research to improve coffee productivity, coffee quality, climate resilience, and farmer livelihoods to support origin diversity (the continued availability of high-quality coffee from many producing countries). Our 30-member team live in 16 countries. WCR’s annual operating budget of $5 million is made possible by coffee industry membership contributions complemented by public sector support.
Why work at WCR?
We are ensuring the future of coffee. Simply put, if you love coffee, and you want to be a part of a global team working to grow, protect, and enhance supplies of quality coffee while improving the livelihoods of the families who produce it— you’ve come to the right place! We’re looking for a collaborative, nimble and curious team player who likes to solve problems that matter, embraces accountability, and is ready to adopt a spirit of kaizen. If this sounds like you, please keep reading to learn more about the position.
Accounting oversight (50%)
- Prepares, examines, and analyzes accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, in accordance with US GAAP reporting and WCR policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the accounting of WCR including: maintenance of the close calendar and close checklists, preparation of monthly adjusting journal entries, monthly bank and account reconciliations together with the finance team, as well as responsible for the month-end close.
- Maintain accurate Revenue recognition policies and procedures and be able to communicate and educate on revenue recognition requirements, specifically multi-year pledges.
- Perform accounting research and provide technical guidance to the finance team as needed.
- Own compliance matters surrounding account operations (i.e. 1099 filings, FIN 114, etc…)
- Lead annual financial statement and single audits including: preparation of annual consolidated financial statements of WCR-US and subsidiary WCR-Europe, preparation of the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards (SEFA) as well as preparation of audit PBC’s and variance analysis explanations.
- Assist the finance team with ad-hoc tasks as needed.
Budgeting, forecasting, & reporting (30%)
- Develops, maintains, and analyzes budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted, forecast and actual costs.
- Preparation of financial information and presentations for the Finance Committee and the Board.
- Creates customized monthly reports that concisely itemize, interpret, and compare expenditures for discussion with the Leadership and Program teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work closely with Contracts and Grants Manager to review monthly accounting activities on all sponsored project accounts ensuring compliance with internal and external (sponsor) policies.
- Develops and maintains WCR Financial Policy compliant with WCR bylaws and external sponsored agreements, together with finance team.
- Keeps WCR Financial procedures up to date and tests compliance.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Bachelor’s degree is required, emphasis in accounting highly preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant a plus.
- Master’s degree or certification related to nonprofit finance or related field preferred.
- Minimum 7-year accounting experience with supervisory/managerial experience and three years at a Big 4 public accounting firm.
- In-depth knowledge and thorough understanding of US GAAP with special emphasis on Financial Accounting Standards Board ASU 2016-14, Not-for-Profit Entities (Topic 958) - Presentation of Financial Statements of Not-for-Profit Entities)
- Experience in non-profit accounting and contract management.
- Experience with government and internationally funded projects.
- Experience in compliance with 2 CFR 200 and 2 CFR 230 sections of USG regulation preferred.
- Knowledge of US GAAP, specifically related to non-profit accounting and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Knowledge of government contracting procedures, regulations, policies.
- Team player willing to dig for information and research accounting guidance that applies to company transactions.
- Enterprise resource planning ERP software – Acumatica preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office products.
- A good communicator that can convey audit and month-end close status updates, tasks and potential hold ups that may arise.
- Strong organization skills with an eye for detail, ability to plan, prioritize, and implement day-to-day operations in a timely manner in a fast-paced environment.
- Critical, strategic, analytical thinker and problem solver.
- Mathematical reasoning.
- Ability to work independently; attention to detail.
- Enjoys working with a diverse, international team of people; team player.
- Ability to be flexible and adjust to changing circumstances.
This is a home-based remote work position preferably in a US time zone. This position involves working with colleagues across time zones (mainly Europe). International travel may be required of the position and employee must have valid passport.
Compensation and Benefits
WCR believes in pay transparency and equity; accordingly, we benchmark all salaries to local scales in the countries where our team members live. For U.S.-based team members, this position is benchmarked to the US Office of Personnel Management compensation guidelines for a GS 12/13 ranked position in the Accounting, Auditing, and Budget Group 0500 job series. Applicants from outside the U.S. are encouraged to inquire about adjusted salary ranges in the country where they live.
A full suite of benefits to facilitate work-life balance including: 25 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, bereavement leave, parental leave, and professional development opportunities to facilitate personal and professional growth.
How to Apply
Please email a copy of your resume and cover letter to our HR Director email@example.com with Accounting Manager in the Subject line.