Seeking applications: Freelance ditigal communications specialist
World Coffee Research is seeking a collaborator to build and strengthen our digital communications, in particular our social media presence, in 2021 through a six-month renewable contract (25-30 hours/month).
About the work
World Coffee Research has a wide and diverse global audience that includes coffee professionals across the value stream, from baristas to roasters to exporters to farmers, as well as expert researchers, enthusiasts, and the media, who interact with us on various digital channels, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Our brand is strong and our digital channels are key conduits for us to interact with our community, share results and impact, and receive feedback and information. In 2021, we are seeking assistance to build our digital presence and to convey our story in alignment with a new five-year strategy, helping our community understand what we do, where and how we do it, and the critical and urgent nature of coffee agricultural R&D as a foundational part of coffee sustainability.
We are seeking someone who can execute and refine our digital communications strategy through daily management of five social media channels (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube). Over approximately 25 hours per month, responsibilities include
- Managing content calendar
- Generating timely new content (sharing WCR stories, press coverage, event information, reposting relevant studies, etc.), including text, graphics, video
- Refreshing and posting evergreen content
- Community engagement (replying to messages, RTing, etc.)
- Track and report on social media metrics
- Proactively look for opportunities for us to strengthen our strategy and approach
We would ideally also include email marketing strategy in this scope of work, to include building a 2021 email marketing plan and creating/sending monthly e-newsletter.
- 6 month renewable contract, starting February 1, 2021 (exact start negotiable)
- 25-30 hours per month
World Coffee Research is a global nonprofit agricultural research organization working to grow, enhance, and protect future supplies of quality coffee, while improving the livelihoods of the families who produce it. Our work centers on professionalizing nurseries and seed systems, conducting variety trials, and accelerating breeding system modernization in 11 focus countries to improve quality in the cup and enable farmers to access better varieties for resilience and profitability in the face of the climate crisis and other threats. The knowledge and resources generated by World Coffee Research and our partners flow downstream for the benefit of millions of coffee producers around the world. Since 2012, we have grown to a team of 35 people in 15 countries; our communications functions are based in the US. We place a high value on independence and strategic thinking, and on supporting our collaborators to advance their professional careers.
- You are curious
- You love finding and telling stories in digital spaces
- You understand the nuances of writing and adapting content for a wide range of audiences (for example, from farmers to baristas to researchers) across a wide range of channels (for example, Instagram vs. Twitter)
- You write clear, concise, and engaging prose
- You like working independently in collaboration with a remote team
- You think strategically and are always looking for ways to refine and improve
- You are comfortable advocating for yourself and your work to make sure that you’re getting what you need from us
- You show up to remote meetings on time, prepared, with a list; you do what you say you’re going to do, on time and accurately
- You are available to meet in 1-hour windows between 8am-4pm US Pacific
- You are interested in/passionate about science and innovation and/or agriculture
- You are passionate about improving the ‘goodness’ of coffee: how good it tastes, how good it is for the planet, and how good it is for people who grow it
Please send us:
Examples of work. Please provide a minimum of 3 examples of social media content and/or summary of past clients
A short description of your approach to digital communications and how you would approach working with us, including what you need from us for success
Send these documents to Hanna Neuschwander at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 1, 2021.