We’re hiring an Agronomist!
Join our global team
World Coffee Research (WCR) is a 501(c)5 non-profit agricultural research organization formed by the global coffee industry to drive collaborative innovation to ensure the future of coffee. WCR invests in coffee agricultural research to improve coffee productivity, coffee quality, climate resilience, and farmer livelihoods to support origin diversity (the continued availability of high-quality coffee from many producing countries). Our 26-member team lives in 15 countries. WCR’s annual operating budget of $4 million is made possible by coffee industry membership contributions complemented by public sector support.
We’re looking for a Country Agronomist to implement and coordinate all WCR activities in the Philippines for the PhilCAFE project. The Agronomist will be directly responsible for all technical activities and partnerships in their portfolio, in close collaboration with the Asia & Africa Director and the broader WCR team. This position manages specialized work efficiently, with confidence and competence, requires above-average attention to detail, concern for the exact correctness of work, and a strong commitment to tasks completed on time. The person in this position will take work seriously, has a strong sense of duty, and is disciplined. A somewhat faster-than-average pace will be the norm for this position. Detailed, specialized work is the major focus. The position will generally be task-oriented, requiring someone with a conservative, careful, and cautious approach to work.
More about the position
The Agronomist will support the execution of the WCR subaward J2017, Philippines Coffee Advancement and Farm Enterprise (PhilCAFE) funded by the United States Department of Agriculture. This is a full-time position, with an ending date of March 30, 2023. An extension to December 2023 is expected but is not yet confirmed. This position reports directly to the Asia Regional Coordinator, works closely with the Asia & Africa Director and the broader WCR team. The progress and performance will be monitored during and at the close of the agreement period. The Agronomist coordinates and oversees all activities and data collection for trials, ensuring that activities are on time and carried out according to WCR’s protocols, prepares and uses annual work plans, monitoring documents and budgets. This positions also organizes trainings and trains partner agronomists and farmers.
Why work at World Coffee Research?
We are ensuring the future of coffee. Simply put, if you love coffee, and you want to be a part of a global team working to grow, protect, and enhance supplies of quality coffee while improving the livelihoods of the families who produce it—you’ve come to the right place! We’re looking for a collaborative, nimble and curious team player who likes to solve problems that matter, embraces accountability, and is ready to adopt a spirit of kaizen. If this sounds like you, please keep reading to learn more about the position.
PhilCAFE project coordination
- Coordinates with ACDI/VOCA and WCR staff to ensure that WCR activities are being carried out according to schedule and within budget.
- Works closely with other WCR staff and/or consultants to coordinate project visits to ensure that deliverables and other project activities are completed on schedule.
- Works with the Asia & Africa Director and the Administrative staff to comply with the project reporting requirements.
- Represents WCR in project meetings and activities.
Project Implementation and Management
- Coordinates and oversees all activities and data collection for trials, ensuring that activities are on time and carried out according to WCR's protocols.
- Learns and carries out GCMP activities according to WCR's standardized procedures.
- Organizes trainings and trains partner agronomists and farmers on trial installation, maintenance, and data collection.
- Develops and monitors annual work plans of activities and visits trial sites regularly.
- Assists in all WCR activities, including research and nursery development programs.
Data Collection & Reporting
- Reviews field data to ensure it is accurate and reliable. Corrects problems.
- Prepares and uses annual work plans, monitoring documents, and budgets. Prepares monthly and quarterly reports for submission to ACDI/VOCA.
Partnership building & outreach
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with all current and future WCR partners, including national institutions and private sector partners.
- Organizes and leads farmer field days to increase learning from the trials.
- Collaborates closely with WCR colleagues in other countries.
- Travels to other field locations as well as to other countries as needed.
- University degree in agriculture, a related field, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the coffee sector and policies.
- Experience in agricultural research or other research.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining professional partnerships.
- Experience in program administration, including personnel management and financial oversight.
- Ability to work in English is necessary. The ability to write reports in comprehensible English is required.
- Excellent computer skills, especially in PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Skype or other channels of media communications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Responsible and careful management of financial resources.
- Strong organizational skills with an eye for detail, and the ability to plan, prioritize, and implement day-to-day operations in a timely manner within a fast-paced environment.
- Critical, strategic analytical thinker and problem-solver.
- Ability to effectively lead a team.
- Must be self-motivated, organized, and able to take initiative
- Ability to work well independently.
- Ability to work effectively across different cultures and customs.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with different groups of people, such as rural farmers, business representatives, government workers, and scientists.
- Must be flexible and willing to travel. Must have. valid passport to travel in the region.
- Interest in the vision and work of WCR.
Reporting and methods of accountability
This position reports directly to the Asia Regional Coordinator and works closely with the Asia & Africa Director and the broader WCR team. The progress and performance will be monitored during and at the close of the agreement period. The Asia Regional Coordinator is responsible for supervising the deliverables under this agreement and may request other reporting as necessary.
For the work under WCR subaward J2017, Philippines Coffee Advancement and Farm Enterprise (PhilCAFE), this position is responsible for completing the activity deliverables under the project work plan and reporting progress through the semi-annual technical reports and other reporting as requested. Inputs should be of professional quality and provided to WCR in a timely manner to ensure on-time reporting to funders.
This is a remote position. There will be regular travel within the Philippines to visit National Coffee Institutions, partners, and trial sites among others. Travel will be approved by the WCR supervisor and expenses submitted to WCR to ensure compliance with WCR policies. WCR will reimburse the employee for these expenses directly. The renewal of the contract will depend on the satisfactory performance and progress of the activities.
Compensation and benefits
WCR believes in pay transparency and equity; accordingly, we benchmark all salaries to local scales in the countries where our team members live.
A full suite of benefits to facilitate work-life balance including: 25 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, bereavement leave, parental leave, and professional development opportunities to facilitate personal and professional growth.
How to apply
Please email a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "PhilCAFE Agronomist" in the subject line.