We’re hiring a Senior Research Technician in El Salvador!
World Coffee Research seeks a Senior Research Technician to join its breeding team
Join our breeding team
We’re looking for Senior Research Technician to join our breeding team. This position manages day to day operations at the WCR Flor Amarilla Farm, including WCR’s germplasm assets and providing operational coordination and support to WCR’s global breeding programs in arabica and robusta and trials programs. This is a full-time position.
About World Coffee Research
World Coffee Research (WCR) is a 501(c)5 non-profit agricultural research organization formed by the global coffee industry to drive collaborative innovation to ensure the future of coffee. WCR invests in coffee agricultural research to improve coffee productivity, coffee quality, climate resilience, and farmer livelihoods to support origin diversity (the continued availability of high-quality coffee from many producing countries). Our 30-member team live in 16 countries. WCR’s annual operating budget of $5 million is made possible by coffee industry membership contributions complemented by public sector support.
Why work at World Coffee Research?
We are ensuring the future of coffee. Simply put, if you love coffee, and you want to be a part of a global team working to grow, protect, and enhance supplies of quality coffee while improving the livelihoods of the families who produce it—you’ve come to the right place! We’re looking for a collaborative, nimble and curious team player who likes to solve problems that matter, embraces accountability, and is ready to adopt a spirit of kaizen. If this sounds like you, please keep reading to learn more about the position.
1. Management of technical & operational components of the WCR Flor Amarilla farm (80%)
- Manage all agronomic aspects of WCR’s research material, including nursery, field, and shade house experiments on WCR Flor Amarilla Farm including competition control, pest, and disease management, manage irrigation, fertilization, and pruning schedules. Collect, record, and organize data related to coffee plants, including growth rates, disease resistance, and yield performance.
- Engage with farm management staff to oversee agronomic management at Finca Flor Amarilla.
- Participate in collaborative efforts related to breeding, which may involve tasks such as conducting controlled pollinations, collecting tissue samples, and engaging in various activities aimed at advancing the breeding programs. Development and implementation of greenhouse management techniques that support plant propagation and breeding activities.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of experimental procedures, results, and observations. Engage consultants and advisors periodically to assure high quality and ongoing improvements of farm operations.
- Work closely with WCR research scientists sharing insights, and actively participating in coffee breeding research projects.
- The role may evolve and supervisory responsibilities may be assigned.
2. Offsite technical support (10%)
- Support the WCR Research and Development team for agronomic management activities at other locations including partner sites.
3. Other tasks as requested (10%)
- Project management for special projects, as assigned.
- Hosting visitors and demonstration of projects at Finca Flor Amarilla
- Translate protocols and communications materials from English to Spanish as requested.
- Degree in agronomy, biology, plant breeding, or equivalent area of discipline.
- Field experience in coffee production
- Experience in scientific research or other research.
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Understanding of scientific concepts and data management
- Excellent computer skills, especially in PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Field Book.
- Strong organization skills with an eye for detail, ability to plan, prioritize, and implement and record day-to-day operations in a timely manner in a fast-paced environment.
- Critical, strategic, analytical thinker and problem solver.
- The ability to write reports in English is desirable.
- Must be self-motivated, organized, and able to take initiative.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Adaptability to meet the shifting needs of different projects and teams.
- Transparent communication as part of continuous improvement process
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with different groups of people, such as rural farmers, business representatives, government workers and scientists.
- Must be flexible and willing to travel. Must have a valid passport to travel.
- Interest in the vision and work of WCR
- Commitment to WCR’s core values (be accountable, be collaborative, embrace kaizen, solve the problems that matter, be nimble, agile, and curious).
This position is located at the WCR office in Santa Ana, El Salvador, with regular travel to the Flor Amarilla Farm. Occasional travel to other locations may be required.
Compensation and benefits
WCR believes in pay transparency and equity; accordingly, we benchmark all salaries to local scales in the countries where our team members live. Applicants from outside the U.S. are encouraged to inquire about adjusted salary ranges in the country where they live.
A full suite of benefits to facilitate work-life balance including: 25 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, sick leave, bereavement leave, parental leave, and professional development opportunities to facilitate personal and professional growth.
How to apply
Please email a copy of your resume and cover letter to our HR Director firstname.lastname@example.org with Senior Research Technician in the subject line.